Tuesday, February 5, 2013

R E S P E C T

A long time ago, I had a very frustrating experience. It's somewhat silly and stupid, but I learned something about myself. I used to play a lot more video games than I do now. Mortal Kombat was one I enjoyed. One of the ridiculous things about it was the complex button combinations required to perform special attacks. They had no rhyme or reason other than to be difficult, which would be impressive if you can pull them off at all the correct moments and defeat your opponent, etc. Well, with all the different characters having different move lists, it was nearly impossible to know them all. I had a one page cheat sheet with a few of the moves for each character. It was somewhat worn, because I actually used it. It had strong creases from repetitive folding, and it was a bit crumpled and wrinkly, too. The paper wasn't even stiff any more. So one day I ended up visiting others my age and I had the game and the cheat sheet with me. At some point the old, but still in tact paper got completely torn.

I got angry. But I could not express myself in any meaningful way. I was furious, really. But nothing could come out of me. I found my eyes tearing up, and I couldn't stop them. When I realized I was crying, I actually became more angry, because I knew nobody understood how I really felt, but I still could not say anything. So more tears. I looked like a big baby that was sad because a piece of paper got torn. In reality, I was furious because of the lack of respect shown towards my property than I let them use.

That frustration with people disrespecting my property still seems to exist, although my reaction isn't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment